If you work in the world of telemarketing, you know exactly how hard a job it is to be on the phones. Especially for those who practice cold calling, going to work every day can be tough sell. The most experienced call centre managers know, however, that the telemarketing industry is thriving and has proven to be a very rewarding line of work. This is especially true for phone agents who have mastered how to build rapport with the prospects they call each day.
But how do you build a strong rapport? How do you even maintain a confident and friendly approach to each phone call when you are so often met with objections? Experience helps, of course. But it all comes down to implementing some specific rules when it comes to handling your day-to-day calling duties. If you’re looking to turn your team of phone agents into highly talented sales representatives, you may want to pass along the following suggestions.
Here are five tips for creating a team of top-notch telemarketers:
1. Allow your staff to implement their own personalities into your script. Many call centre managers have their phone agents read scripts to their prospects verbatim. And while it’s always important for your team to relay accurate information, you don’t want to create robot-sounding individuals who get lost in the monotony of their work shifts. Allow each member of your team to inject his/her own affable personality into the script so that it comes off as more genuine.
2. Get your team to focus on providing unique solutions. Most often, telemarketers attempt to highlight the benefits of the products and services they’re selling. But they don’t necessarily highlight how what is being offered will benefit the specific people they’re speaking to. Encourage your team to ask probing questions so that they can learn more about their prospects. This will allow them to curb their approaches to selling your product or service so that it aligns with the unique needs of each lead.
3. Offer ways to gain the trust of gatekeepers. Regularly, telemarketers are blocked by individuals whose job it is to protect his/her boss/decision-maker from taking unwanted calls. Getting passed the gatekeeper is one of the most important jobs of a telemarketer – and the most savvy of phone workers do it best. It’s important to sound authoritative while remaining friendly. Be in control of the conversation but don’t reveal too much information. Focus on building rapport until you’re granted access to the big cheese.
4. Place an emphasis on objection-handling skills. Telemarketers are likely to hear the words “not interested” more than any other two in the English language each day they go to work. Developing a positive mindset about how to overcome such an objection is the first step to dealing with rejection confidently. Try not to interrupt or jump into the conversation too quickly after an objection is made. Attempt some probing questions, express your understanding and work to keep the conversation going in a relaxed manner.
5. Monitor your team and offer regular feedback. It should go without saying that you need to monitor the calls that your team of sales representatives are making. Listening in to calls to ensure that they are implementing all of the techniques that you’ve taught them will help you to keep everyone on track. Offering feedback to both boost self-confidence and correct certain mistakes will also prove very valuable to your organization.
At SIClytics, we offer Telemarketing Reporting services that enable you to track the results of your telemarketing team’s efforts. As well, our Live Call Monitoring services allow you to listen in to calls and even whisper information to your phone reps while they are on their calls. This immediate form of feedback helps your team to better succeed in the early stages of the relationships they develop with your client base.
For more information about our services that can help you to create a team of top-notch telemarketers, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-877-374-6003 or email us at sales@SIClytics.com.